Insuring Locally, Thinking Globally
Madison Mutual is a small, local insurance company committed to quality in New York State since 1893. Although we are a small company, we are committed to excellence in the greater insurance industry. Employees are asked to continue their education in the insurance field through short classes and webinars. This ensures that Madison Mutual stays current with the market and trends in the industry. Join our team if you are looking for a work environment that won’t let you fall behind in your industry!
Underwriter (Commercial P&C Focus)
The focus of the position will be commercial property & casualty underwriting, but will include personal lines underwriting, marketing and other functions.
- Ability to make complex and subjective underwriting decisions with confidence. A suitable candidate will have an analytical mindset along with an astute and intuitive business sense.
- Two or more years of property & casualty underwriting experience, preferably in commercial property.
- The desire to do all aspects of the job - from telephone inquiries and data entry to rating and coverage decisions - is essential as this is a hands-on, comprehensive position.
- Ability to work independently and unsupervised while remaining a team member with team goals as a priority.
- A quick learner with a positive attitude towards change. Participation in extracurricular industry education and continuous learning, development, and expansion of one’s knowledge base and skill set are expected.
- Highly effective communication skills, particularly written communication. The subject of the involved correspondence will often be the coverage terms of existing and prospective insurance policies, which are legal contracts. As such, the ability to communicate with clarity, thoughtfulness and care is essential.
- A person who is highly proficient in the use of computers, software and internet functions of any/all kinds. It will not be deemed sufficient that a candidate has achieved proficiency in a finite set of software applications (e.g., Microsoft Office). Instead, a suitable candidate will have the ability to rapidly master any new software application, seek out and evaluate new applications for company use and assist others in learning, using and troubleshooting applications as well. A suitable candidate will be someone who will increase the level of technological knowledge within our company, both upon hiring and into the future.
- Someone who possesses an enthusiastic, “can-do” attitude, and will actively contribute to a positive working atmosphere within the office and in the company’s relationships with its agents, brokers and other outside parties.
- Valid NYS Driver license.
- Ability to lift 40-50 lbs. and willingness to perform occasional physical tasks around the office, as in shoveling snow.
Please send resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
“Understanding your employee’s perspective can go a long way towards increasing productivity and happiness.”
~ Kathryn Minshew
- Medical insurance
- Dental reimbursement program
- Traditional and Roth 401(k) plan
- Paid holidays
- Paid vacation after 6 months of employment
- TOP (Time Off Paid) hours after 6 months of employment
- Other paid absences (jury duty, bereavement, military leave)
- Short and long term disability
- Employee life insurance
- 100% tuition assistance program for management-approved continuing education
- Small, friendly office atmosphere
- Multiple monitor workspace
- Individual offices – no cubicles
- A mostly paperless office environment
- Regular Monday through Friday hours
- 37 ½ hour work week
- Regular “casual attire” days
- Free Parking
- A breakroom with a kitchenette – bring your lunch to work and have a place to prepare and eat it
- Cross-training with other Departments – have a complete knowledge of the industry, not just your department
“Don’t pick a job with great vacation time. Pick one that doesn’t need escaping from.”